Monday, December 13, 2010

Day 2

Now it gets serious... Let's talk about ground rules. I will think, and talk and write about the thing itself. I will not write about the process of thinking, talking or writing about 'it'.

And though one of the key facts is the fact that I exist, I will not talk about myself. This isn't a confessional. How things are with me, personally, is irrelevant. When I talk about 'I', I am referring to any I. What I, you or anyone refers to when they say, 'I'. But I will still use the word 'I' a lot. When I'm not referring to myself qua author (as in, 'on page such-and-such of Naive Metaphysics I write...' or 'on date so-and-so of Tentative Answers I say...') you, the reader, may take this as referring to yourself. I am speaking, as it were, on your behalf, putting words in your mouth (though of course, this doesn't mean you have to agree with those words in order to understand what they say).

I am seeking to persuade, as I hinted last time, because that's just what philosophers do. But at this stage I don't have anything in particular to persuade you about, so the question is moot. Every day that I try to do this blog I will try to say something true and not just fill space (the chances that I will succeed in writing something every day seem remote).

And though last time I said that I wanted to get started quickly, it really doesn't matter how long this takes. It could take the rest of my life. Or yours, for that matter. Only I don't want to get bogged down in preliminaries. Do the thing, or don't do it. Write about the thing, or don't write about it. Don't waste time talking about doing it or talking about writing about it. — Read this once. I won't raise the subject of ground rules again.