Saturday, January 1, 2011

Day 18

Funny how things come around. Yesterday's reference to 'Meno's Paradox' is to a piece I wrote in 1999 Can Philosophy be Taught?:
What is philosophy? I seem to have spent most of what I laughingly refer to as my 'philosophical career' searching for an answer to that baffling question. What I have found are ancient ruins, some absorbing puzzles, and an awe-inspiring obsession with the fact that I exist. Whichever way you place them, the jig-saw pieces don't quite fit.
'Ancient ruins' refers to The First Philosophers the Pathways ancient philosophy program. The 'absorbing puzzles' are from The Possible World Machine. And the piece de resistance, my 'awe-inspiring obsession' is relentlessly pursued in Searching for the Soul:
We were finally looking at the bricks behind the fresco, and 'I exist' was written on every brick. (ibid)
An interesting choice of image, when placed side by side with my hall of mirrors image from yesterday. As I stumble along the endless hall of mirrors, all I see are various distorted reflections of my own self.

But if there is one thing I do know, I know that I am not reality. Reality is something other. But how can there be anything other? That's the point of the challenge of solipsism, that the harder you try to escape from the web of self, the more entangled you become. (Take away the mirrors, and all that remains is the empty landscape. Pick your metaphor.)

Of course, I'm talking as if I knew what 'the self' is. But that's just one mystery amongst a cornucopia of mysteries. Time and consciousness are the most obvious. But what about identity? That crops up everywhere. What is an object? One lesson from Bradley (and Hume!) is that the very last thing you would choose as an example of intelligibility is the common sense notion of a material object. I don't even know what a thing is!