Sunday, January 30, 2011

Day 28

'I'm not trying to better myself.' — That's the key. This inquiry isn't anything to do with moral goodness or the quest for human perfection, least of all with any notion of eschatology. I accept myself as I am. I'm not looking to change my attitudes or lifestyle.

That's actually normal, for an academic philosopher trained in the analytic tradition. What isn't so 'normal' is the focus of my inquiry. It seems preposterous that one could 'solve the riddle of the universe.' (I could have expressed this in fancier language but why hide my intentions?). Maybe this isn't so different from an Alexander or a Bradley (minus the God interest). It was expected, back then.

Probably the most perfect example is Alexander's Space, Time and Deity because of the beautiful way everything slots together. Even God isn't 'God' but merely the final product of the evolution of the universe from 'motion' to matter, to life, mind and finally to deity. Just like the Presocratics.

But I also said I wasn't theorizing and this isn't 'metaphysics'. The time for grand theories has passed. It doesn't work any more, it's just so obviously playing with Meccano and not grappling with the real issue. I can go about my business perfectly well, but I don't believe any of it. It's a myth, a fairy tale. I'm looking for something I can believe. Something that adds up, in a way that this doesn't.

And now it occurs to me how apt Meno's question was. 'How do you know what to look for when you don't even know what it is? How are you going to set up something as the object of your search?' How could generations of commentators have been so dumb as to treat this as some riddle, hardly deserving the term 'paradox'? So brilliant of Plato to put the question into the mouth of a nincompoop, so of course the reader thinks, 'No worries! Socrates will find a solution!'

The Greeks and their 'virtue'. Socrates (and Plato) saw that this was no mere logical puzzle or problem, but the ultimate question of where we fit into the scheme of things. A quarry that the philosopher will be forever chasing and never catch!